Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)'s Reviews > Snow: A Retelling of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"

Snow by Tracy Lynn

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: owned-paperback
Read from August 09 to 11, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Retellings. One word that’ll get me hyped up to read a book. I was really excited to get a chance to find a book that would create a new twist to the classic Snow White story. It was just sad that I didn’t like this book.

The beginning was actually interesting, but as the story progressed, I felt that there was a clash between different aspects that this book has provided and just left me more confused as I flipped through the pages. For example, this was supposed to be placed in the Victorian era, but the name of the protagonist was a tad too 21st century-ish, now that just blew away a bit of the cultural-feel of this book. Not to mention the advancement in science that the author also included, it was very creative but also a bit too early for its time. It’s also kind of hard to picture out how the devices looked like so I really couldn’t relate to what the author has creating.

Another thing that I questioned was the “dwarves” that were remade into something else. This was supposed to be a retelling of Snow White AND the Seven Dwarves. The creation of the “Lonely Ones” was actually good and intriguing. But why stop with just five of them? Why not create 7 all in all if you’ve already done five?

I also kept wondering why all of a sudden there’s this character that sprouts about near the end of the book to help wake up Snow. I’m referring to the Clockwork Man. On my opinion, if you want to create a character that would be of use by the time the book reaches its climax, why wasn’t there anything about that character in the first place? Just a bit of trivia or whatever to give the reader a feed on someone that would be deemed necessary even for just a while. Not something that would end up appearing out of nowhere just to get the story going to where it’s supposed to go. It was like he just happened to be conveniently there at the right place at the right time? Is that what that was supposed to be?

I really felt that this book had so much potential, with more research and editing it would have been an amazing story.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow.

08/09/2011 page 1