Marva's Reviews > Henrietta the Dragon Slayer

Henrietta the Dragon Slayer by Beth Barany

Aug 09, 2011

liked it
Read from August 09 to 15, 2011

My usual complaint. Too many unnecessary words.

In this case, the author tells us way too many times the condition of Henrietta's stomach, guts, throat, mouth. Now if any said: "Henrietta felt good today. She didn't have her usual Crohn's disease, strep throat, or dry mouth. Not a bad day at all," it wouldn't be quite so bad, but still, the condition of Henrietta mentioned so often would make me believe she couldn't swat so much as a fly than to kill a dragon.

The story is actually pretty good. It takes off in a direction not easily guessed, and ends with additional surprising (although foreshown) action.

Writing is pretty good. I'm sorry to say, the typos grew denser the further I read. At one point, I entered a note (instead of the usual correction) telling myself to quit making notes. I don't know Beth Barany. She's unlikely to want my notes. Sorry, habit-forming when reading on my Kindle.

Some of these problems (too many words and too many errors) kept this book from getting a 4-star review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Henrietta the Dragon Slayer.