Myles's Reviews > The Search for Kä

The Search for Kä by Randall Garrett

Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: adventure, sf
Read on August 10, 2011

I've had to pick up and flip through the first omnibus of this series to see if I was kidding myself about enjoying them. The Well of Darkness was too much backtracking and redudancies to be enjoyable. There are problems here, but the book trades in on enough revisitng of characters from the first three books (Thymas and the Sharith, Thanasset and co. at Raithskar, etc.) that it's not completely frustrating. The rise of another less singular menace facing Raithskar (view spoiler) adds some urgency, too.

After finding shelter in the Valley of the Sha'um and Tarani's bonding with the female Yayshah, the first time a female sha'um has been so bonded, they must leave and find shelter elsewhere that will support Yayshah - hugely pregnant, don't try to compute how a large mammal can come full term on a litter within, at most, three months, just go with it - and allow them to track down the location of the King's Sword which legend says is in Kä.

The title of this book is misleading, because the actual search for the long-lost city of Kä is at the very end and doesn't take much time at all. The big drive to this book, after the pregnant sha'um, is the resolution of the identity crisis within Tarani, something that Rikardon has known about for several books but has hidden from her for, well, no good reason.

The world of Gandalara is still interesting, but the characters take such a long time to get over emotional hurdles and basic misunderstandings - all of which are played out real-time in the book - that I would have a hard time justifying this as a seven book series.

My Review of Gandalara Cycle Omnibus 2
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search for Kä.

08/10/2011 page 18

message 1: by Lori (Hellian) (new)

Lori (Hellian) Aw, I got all excited, I even bought a used copy. Garrett got carried away and lost his focus. I've noticed this tendency in fantasy, everyone doing a long series.

Myles Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed.

message 3: by Lori (Hellian) (new)

Lori (Hellian) Oh well. There are plenty of other great books awaiting us!

Myles Thank goodness for that, I'm gonna finish out the series though, just so I can give them all away guilt-free.

message 5: by Lori (Hellian) (new)

Lori (Hellian) Gotta get rid of that guilt thing! :D

Myles Ha, I'm working on it!