Jessica Woodbury's Reviews > Thirsty

4271946
Aug 09, 2011

bookshelves: fluff, kindle, ya
Read from August 07 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

When I saw a book by M. T. Anderson on sale for the kindle, it was a no-brainer to get it.

I have yet to read something by him that I didn't love. My favorites, of course, being the Octavian Nothing books which I've recommended like a madwoman. (Although no one has taken to them the way I have... except for the National Book Award panel.)

That this is a vampire story didn't deter me. I really wouldn't touch a YA vampire book right now with a ten-foot pole, but this one is from someone I trust so I figured what the heck? I enjoyed Scott Westerfeld's vampire books, so maybe I'd like this one.

And I did. Anderson reminds me a lot of Barry Lyga, in that they both write plots that are not easy or simple, and their characters have the kind of inner lives that you hardly ever get to see in fiction. Anderson also has a good dose of humor.

The plot is not your typical vampire novel. The setting is an alternate reality where there aren't just vampires but witches and evil gods. Nevertheless, it mostly resembles a modern suburbia. (Besides the fact that Boston sacrifices a virgin once a year.) Our hero is a typical teenager who doesn't quite fit among his friends, who has an unrequited crush, and who finds himself caught up in a plot to either save the world from vampires or take over the world for them.

The ambiguity of this book is excellent, the unclear nature of what's happening and who can be trusted is done really well so your loyalties shift back and forth constantly. (I am a big fan of ambiguity, which seems awfully absent these days.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirsty.