Vicky's Reviews > Lord of the Wolfyn

Lord of the Wolfyn by Jessica Andersen

Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is Part Three of the Royal House of Shadows series from Harlequin Nocturne, each book written by a different person and based on a common fairytale. This book is based on Little Red Riding Hood.

Reda, a furloughed cop, is having difficulties dealing with the death of her partner. The unit shrink, her father and brothers all believe if she’d just look at things logically, she’d be better, but that also means giving up on the fairy tale stories her mother used to tell her before she died. Reda’s favorite is in a mysterious book that had once belonged to her mother, but had been lost. Fate led Reda to a used book store and the owner who found it for her. She is especially drawn to the picture of the woodsman.

Dayn is a displaced prince of Elden. For twenty years, he’s been stuck in the wolfyn realm, waiting for the woman who would guide him back to his realm. All he knows is the prophecy that he would have a guide and the dreams he has of a red-haired beauty.

When Reda is swept into the Wolfyn realm, she finds that her mother’s tales had been true. She has to rework everything the shrink and her father had been pounding into her and accept the fantasy as reality. Dayn has to learn to grow up and accept who and what he really is. They are up against formidable enemies that the two of them can only overcome through belief in themselves and each other.

This is a sensual book full of action, adventure and passion. Both issues must learn to deal with deep-seated issues before they can move forward in their lives. In fact, that’s the problem I have with the book. It is a good enough romance, but the two characters continually whine about their issues – I’m a coward. I need to get home. I don’t believe. You’re my guide. And so on. Yes, they have to grow, but to go on and on gets a little tedious after a bit. Plus, I thought the ending was rushed. We’ve reached the castle. The battle is going to begin. Then it’s all over. Huh? I kept going back a couple of pages to see if I missed something. I didn’t.

So, overall, I am enjoying the books and I can’t wait to read the fourth and final one – one that will hopefully tie everything together. If you’re just looking for a quick read with a bit of romance and a lot of passion, pick these up. You don’t need to read all four to know what’s going on – which is nice – but reading them as a set would be a definite plus. They are all paranormal with shapeshifters, magic, and romance. Always a good combination in my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Wolfyn.