Amy Gonzalez's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Aug 17, 11

bookshelves: ya-books, fantasy
Recommended to Amy by: parents, teachers
Recommended for: young teens into fantasy, Percy Jackson fans
Read from August 09 to 17, 2011

Greek myths meets Roman myths with a little bit of steampunk. For such a long book I wanted this to be just as good, if not better than the Percy jackson series. I like Riordan's silly/corny sense of humor with lines such as,
"The New guy had dark hair cut Superman style, a deep tan, and teeth so white they should've come with a warning label: DO NOT STARE DIRECTLY AT TEETH. PERMANENT BLINDNESS MAY OCCUR."

Riordan knows how to weave in history, myth, magic, and adventure at a prolific rate, but this book went on and on. Someone should have edited out big chunks from the book that did nothing to increase the tension of the plot. I also do not like the structure of the book with every two chapters told by the point of view of one of the main characters, Jason, Piper, and Leo. If I liked the characters enough I wouldn't care so much, yet Leo Valdez is the only interesting one. The fact that Leo is Latino, the son of Hesphaestus and creates cool gadgets helps. I warmed up more to Piper at the end. Jason is boring.

Still, I am going to buy book 2 of the series, Son of Neptune, when it comes out October 4th. I love mythology and Riordan does a sincere job reinventing these ancient stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

08/17/2011