K's Reviews > The Poison Tree

Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, mysteriesthrillers, intense-sad-dark-or-bleak
Recommended to K by: M
Read from August 09 to 10, 2011

I always appreciate a decent pageturner with a fast-paced plot, well-done suspense, and enough characterization and psychological dynamics to hold my interest. For me, this fit the bill.

When we first meet Karen she and her daughter are reuniting with her lover Rex, released from prison after serving a long sentence for murder. As the plot unfolds we gradually learn more about Karen's initial meeting with Rex and the events that followed, up to and including the murder which is not what we presume it to be.

Erin Kelly writes well and did a good job of building the story gradually, layer by layer, keeping me wondering. This wasn't a perfect book; I did have some issues with some of Karen's actions and her startling passivity in one relationship, even over time when she should have grown as a character and learned to function better. Still, definitely a good read that will occupy you and may prove difficult to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poison Tree.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M Curious what you think. I also think you would like Left Neglected, it's very Oliver Sacks-y.

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K I'm actually enjoying it, although I may be going soft in my fasting state. I'll see if "Left Neglected" is available for free download.

message 3: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M I felt it was well written and engaging. It got a bit odd at times but overall it held me. I hear ya on the fasting thing, tho - it's the only explanation for my still tolerating the book I'm reading.

message 4: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K Sounds like a review I'll look forward to!