Eric's Reviews > Ex-Heroes

Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: badass, heroes-and-villains, zombies, katn, horror, pop-culture-goodness, debut-author-2010
Read from August 09 to 10, 2011

How kickass is this book? I am currently sitting on toilet but not going to the bathroom at work just to try and get my thoughts out. I figure that if anyone does read this, enjoys the hell out of this book, and comes to thank me because of my review - they won't mind. Deal with it :p

Seriously I love the imagery of the entire thing. You would think that it's all just blood, guts, and load of undead and in one way it totally is but there is so much more. Epic. This book is totally epic. The way Clines tells the story with his then and nows is very well developed. It's like he's a master juggler putting on his best act just asking you to keep on watching. He's good. So good I'm starting the next part as soon as I'm done here. And after that I'm pretty sure I'm a fan and will read his other works ASAP. Update: I am a HUGE fan. No hesitation to speak of. Clines is a genius. Seriously though in an uncoordinated hand this story would be all over the place.

He takes you wherever you think you want to go, keeps the story moving along in real time, knowing where it's going shows you just a sliver to make sure you're paying attention all while the juggling act keeps going you didn't even see he's go the grand finale unloading on another part of the stage. You just can't believe there's fire, and more gasoline and a tiger and the Titanic (how did he get the Titanic on stage you may ask, YOU DON'T CARE AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE OK WITH IT!) all seemly like it's not big deal the fireworks are not going off indoors to blow the roof off over your head. One moment you're hearing exposition and you think to yourself ok I have a grasp of what's going on and then he shows you a new trick, taking you to a different time or place like it's meant to happen that way and you're left there just staring. Not trying to make sense of it but to wonder how did you get sucked in so deep, so quickly. Love it. Yes I know the act may seem like a bit much at times but when you get home later and your house has pimped out by Clines cause he got bored with his magic act you thank him. That's what I'm trying to tell you right now. I thank you Mr. Clines. I thank you for sharing your awesome with us.

Also I've had a couple of delusions of grandeur while reading this. One, making it into a blockbuster movie is inevitable and two, while I really liked the heroes portrayed I actually had a few favorites not just one and a bunch of sidekicks. I want them to all have their own films. I'm a fan. Just saying.

Its actually taking me a bit longer than I thought to get all this down on my phone and so without rising any suspicion in here I'm going to pause it.

Seriously though, have I mentioned how sweet this book is? It honestly felt like someone pumped some adrenaline into my veins. Work has moved quick with some books lately (don't get me wrong) but this one... hot damn the night was over almost as soon as it started AND we're in mandatory overtime. Yeah yeah I'm clearly out of the bathroom now ;-)

I'm recommending this to anyone who's a fan of the genre, anyone curious, anyone with a pulse really. I mean it's a totally different feel than Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (was that really last week already?) but it's just as worth it. Honest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ex-Heroes.

Quotes Eric Liked

Peter Clines
“I took in a deep breath, and smoke twisted around my head as I let it slip through my teeth. “Do you know what my favorite show was when I was a little kid?”

The look again. “I would have no idea.”

“Doctor Who. British sci-fi show.”

“I am familiar with it. Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and Matt—“

“No,” I said. “The new show’s great, but I grew up on the old one. The low-budget, rubber monster show with Tom Baker and Peter Davison. I watched it on PBS all the time as a kid.”

I looked out at the dark ruins of Hollywood, at the stumbling shadows dotting the streets as far as you could see. The only other living person within half a mile was standing behind me, her eyes boring into my head.

“The Doctor didn’t have super-powers or weapons or anything like that. He was just a really smart guy who always tried to do the right thing. To help people, no matter what. That struck me when I was a kid. The idea that no matter how cold and callous and heartless the world seemed, there was somebody out there who just wanted to make life better. Not better for worlds or countries in some vague way. Just better for people trying to live their lives, even if they didn’t know about him.”

I turned back to her and tapped my chest. “That’s what this suit’s always been about. Not scaring people like you or Gorgon do. Not some sort of pseudo-sexual roleplay or repressed emotions. I wear this thing, all these bright colors, because I want people to know someone’s trying to make their lives better. I want to give them hope.”
Peter Clines, Ex-Heroes

08/09/2011 page 1
0.0% "holy crap... bad freaking ass... this is gonna be awesome!"
08/10/2011 page 2
1.0% "Ok I have a small confession to make. I usually go to sleep to Pandora or Audible (something I've already read and loved) but since my current fav is Hold Me Closer, Necromancer it's definitely in my head. So much in fact that I realize the voice that speaks the chapters in Ex-Heroes is way to close to HMCN's lyrics (chapters). It's just not the right imaginary I need before sleep. Zombies eating my flesh, you know?" 3 comments
08/10/2011 page 3
1.0% "The celbrity game at first seems kinda cheesy but as they get into it - far from cheesy, that's for sure. The stories... You know Clines is just egging you on but you're captivated all the same."
08/10/2011 page 4
1.0% "First, really spellchecker you somehow missed celebrity?!?! Thanks. Thanks so much. Second, this book is EPIC! There I said it. It's so good I'm hoping it gets optioned into a movie since we all know that heroes, zombies, and gang warfare wins all the time. I just finished the Cerberus "introduction". Damn, how kickass that would be to see on screen. Do want, so bad!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. Eric is this all action?

message 2: by Eric (last edited Aug 11, 2011 01:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Oh no no no, there's a lot don't get me wrong. There's a bit of character dev. Enough backstory. An actual plan. Even a little romance ;-) /// I mean it's totally a testosterone overload but it's clever enough without coming off to cheesy.

Savage Great book!! Ex patriots is that the next book in the series or what??

Eric Yup, then the 3rd book is Ex-Communication. I cannot wait for that!

message 5: by T. (new) - added it

T. I burst out laughing at the first paragraph of your review. because of that, i will have to add this to my reading list. thanks!

Eric T. wrote: "I burst out laughing at the first paragraph of your review. because of that, i will have to add this to my reading list. thanks!"

hahaha I'm glad, do enjoy!

MsBDiamondDiva1 I think I am going to have to read this!!!

Eric MsBDiamondDiva1 wrote: "I think I am going to have to read this!!!"

Omg I remember this review, how crazy is it that I truly wrote most of this while sitting in the bathroom avoiding work. Actually, the truth isn't the bad, it's just scarily honest. Anyway the book is awesome, enjoy.