Rai's Reviews > Dark Mirror

Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from August 08 to 11, 2011

I'm torn. I either love this book... or I hate it. I can't decide.

At first I really enjoyed it. It puts a great spin on alternative history, where magic is common... which is detrimental to the upper class who have condemned magic for being so common.

Unfortunately, Lackland introduced some annoying inconsistencies. Without going through them all, I became most saddened by that. Our main character, who was at first interesting, became rather one dimensional and GREATLY exceeded her abilities on more then one occasion. The term Mary Sue was brought up in a number of my rants regarding this.

I disliked the way the love story developed, considering how unreasonable it was. Two conversations and they were madly in love. It makes me want to vomit.

One thing that does get me almost every time is homecomings. Whether it's simply to reunite characters that have been separated for a long time or to welcome a lost person home, homecomings really hit me inside, and so the end of this book was a success in that respect.

It does apparently lead to a sequel, however it's not as blatantly annoying about a sequel as most books are.

I suppose for the ending and the inclusion of Dunkirk, I will upgrade this to a 4-star, despite the annoying aspects of the main character and unreasonable actions that occurred.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Mirror.

08/09/2011
33.0% "I kinda like it so far..."
08/10/2011
50.0% "Changed my mind. Too many perfect conversations happening. Makes me want to vomit. Maybe looking better now though."