Michele's Reviews > The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: childrens-fantasy
Read from August 08 to 13, 2011

I did not love this book. In fact, I was pretty much grateful to be finished with it. However, I do have a healthy respect for it: it is witty and clever and I imagine it would be quite thrilling for children with big vocabularies--they'd feel smart and learn something as an added plus!

I liked the idea of Milo's quest to bring back Reason and Rhyme. I liked the Demons in the Mountains of Ignorance. I liked the gentle chastisement of using too many meaningless words. I particularly liked that he escaped boredom to solve this problem.

However, for me, it felt like the entire book was wordplay. It felt like the plot was only there to support the wordplay. I didn't really enjoy reading it in part because there really was no question that Milo would succeed--and I knew what he was going to be doing all along.

I would still recommend it for certain students. I'm pretty sure my daughter might have liked it when she was young.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom Tollbooth.