Rachel Crooks's Reviews > A Wind in the Door

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

Aug 09, 11

Read in August, 2011

I was inspired by L'Engle's imagination. When I think about the universe, and how the earth is just a tiny planet in a solar system within a galaxy which is just one of thousands of galaxies, and I start to think about the infinite space beyond...Earth starts to feel so lonely and so small. Sometimes it is even difficult to imagine that God, the creator of the Universe, could care so much about this tiny planet and then, to care about an individual even, when there are billions of people, when there is so much more too. So usually I just stop thinking about infinity and focus on Earth instead, which makes me sit easy again. My mind can't seem to be comfortable with limitlessness.
But L'Engle tackles these concepts of largeness and smallness. Her book reads kind of like Alice in Wonderland, by which I mean that the characters first expand to the largest reaches of the mind, and then are brought to the very smallest. Meg is told that the Echthroi (demons, I think) are intending to X the world around them and to make it nothing. She is given her own personal battle against the Echthroi, and then is made to understand that this war is occuring within the larger universe. Next she enters one of her brother Charles Wallace's cells, into his mitochondrion, where the tiny little farandolae are fighting against the Echthroi which are causing Charles Wallace's illness. The concept that spiritual battles might be fought on so many levels of existence is intriguing, and it makes these seemingly remote realities
(the Universe, a human being, a cell) tie together as a symbiotic whole. Suddenly the idea of the universe no longer seems so terrifying or distant to my mind - rather, it seems more that the Universe is a larger organism in which I operate, in which my cells operate, and all of these things work together with God. I am excited to read the next book in the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wind in the Door.