Bev's Reviews > The Professor's House

Aug 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: classic-lit, fiction
Read from June 28 to July 02, 2010 — I own a copy

I enjoyed this story of a professor facing middle age who discovers that he has quite a disconnect with most of the people in his life. He thought he understood them all...his wife, his daughters, his friends and colleagues at the university--and even himself. But a period of solitary living in his old house makes him see that while he had what he calls a pleasant life, it wasn't what the "real" professor wanted and that he doesn't really want to reconnect (or ever live) with his family once they come back from Paris. A final twist makes it apparent that he will go back to them--but will they notice that he's not the man he was before and not really the man they thought he was? Probably not, unless each of them have a period of introspection such as he has experienced. It does make one think...do we ever really know another person. The Professor doesn't think so; he muses: "The heart of another is a dark forest, always, no matter how close it has been to one's own." Do we ever really even know ourselves?

This review was first posted on my blog My Reader's Block. Please request permission before reposting any portion. Thanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Professor's House.