Jaime's Reviews > Duck!

Duck! by Kim Dare

2200613
Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: romance, paranormal

I love shapeshifter romances, so when I stumbled across this while browsing for books for my new Kindle, I couldn't resist. Shifters other than wolves are still uncommon, and Avian shifters even more rare. Once I started reading, I could not put it down!

Dare has done a creative twist on the ugly duckling fairy tale. Ori was raised by humans, not knowing he was a shifter. After a partial shift, the Avian Elders determine he is probably a duck, one of the lowest ranked avian species (predators being high). He is given a job in "the nest" until he fledges. There, he is bullied by a bunch of crows until one day he is swept away by a Hawk. Raynard senses that Ori is a submissive, and they quickly establish a relationship. Raynard does not care that Ori is only a duck; he believes each species has its own strength and beauty. But, when Ori fledges and they learn he is not a duck, Raynard suddenly must face his own prejudice concerning rank. How can Ori truly be a submissive?

This romance is true D/s. Ori is a submissive to Raynard's dominant, and there is some minor punishment. However, the BDSM element is very, very light (for those readers that care). However, the sex is scorching. It's frequent enough to enjoy without consuming the entire story. Though the secondary characters are pretty one dimensional, the two main characters are fully developed. I was interested in them; I cared about them. The world-building is also top notch. The author doesn't get buried in details, but there is still plenty of description to bring her fantasy to life. Overall, this was a fantastic book that I would eagerly buy in print; and, I will positively look for more of her work. Highly recommended!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duck!.