John Mcconahey's Reviews > While My Pretty One Sleeps

While My Pretty One Sleeps by Mary Higgins Clark

M 50x66
Aug 08, 2011

The last four or five books I’ve read by women authors seem to place a lot of emphasis on fashion, either as a theme or as a supporting characteristic of the plot. This book is no exception.

Neeve Kearny’s uncle is a prominent fashion designer. He set Neeve up in an elite boutique in New York. Ethel Langston, a writer, is one of Neeve’s better patrons. Ethyl is offed. Because the corpse is not dressed in the correct stylish attire, Neeve becomes suspicious. Neeve’s daddy is a retired NYC police commissioner whose wife was brutally murdered seventeen years earlier. Will we find Ethyl’s killer? We’re certainly presented with a virtual pick-list of viable suspects.

This 1989 best seller refreshingly contains no sex or foul language, and unfortunately, very little interest-generating excitement – until the final 10 percent of the narrative. Then, everything miraculously comes together like the pieces of a fine Swiss watch. This is a good book to have while one is waiting for a dental cleaning appointment or a Jiffy Lube oil change. However, I can’t believe it is one of Clark’s best works. I give it a 2½ out of 5.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While My Pretty One Sleeps.