Rachael's Reviews > Drop City

Drop City by T.C. Boyle

Oct 13, 11

Read from August 08 to October 13, 2011

I listened to this book, which I'm sure made the experience entirely different than if I had read it. As a long-time reader of physical books, the transition to audio is a little choppy. It's like I have to train my brain to listen to a story rather than read. I think I'm much more of a visual learner than auditory learner. Anyway...

My favorite portion of this book were the sections about Cecil and Pamela and the Alaska wilderness. I really got into the descriptions of the physical place and their lives. I had trouble in the beginning of the book keeping all the commune characters straight. But I will blame this on the audiobook experience. As a result, those sections of the book didn't grab me as much.

The ending disappointed me. I expected more of a "bang," so to speak. It seemed to just "end," and the ending could have been just any other chapter ending. There were some nice contemplative moments to the ending, but I would classify it as very subdued.

This book took me about three months to "read" in daily doses of 15-20 minutes while I walked the dog. I didn't realize how long it was when I bought it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drop City.