Craig's Reviews > Monstrous Regiment

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

Aug 08, 11

Read in January, 2005 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The Discworld novels have always been wacky and irreverent, but after first reading Night Watch and now Monstrous Regiment, I think Mr. Pratchett has made a leap forward in how he constructs his stories. I'm not really sure what's changed - it just seems that his latest two books are less about the zany characters being thrown into peculiar and comedic situations, and more about the situations themselves. They feel more "novelly," for lack of a better term. As Mr. Pratchett himself has reportedly said, he's stopped making his books jokey and started making them funny. And I wholeheartedly agree.

That said, I have to say that the ending could've used some work for me. It sort of suffered from the "too many endings" syndrome I've seen in some movies lately - A.I. springs to mind, as does The Return of the King. Also (and this is hard to say without actually saying anything), it seems as though there are just a few too many so-called "revelations" in the end.

Other than this complaint, and it's a fairly minor one, I can easily say that I liked Monstrous Regiment.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monstrous Regiment.