Jenna's Reviews > Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: classics
Read in July, 2011

Went into reading this with some trepidation; I mean, a book about a woman committing adultry did not sound appealling. But it called to me and I picked it up and read it. And it was amazing! The story line of Levin and Kitty was a total suprise to me and it kept me going. I loved the contrast between the two different relationships in the book. We have Anna and Vronsky who's relationship is based wholey on passion. Their passion remains, but their love is eventually destroyed by jealousy and pride. Whereas Kitty and Levin come together and stay together because they have developed a habit of work. They still have problems, still have fights, but they don't allow their pride and jealouses last. They make concessions to each other. You watch as their love grows and Anna's decreases.
Though out the book there are many other relationships to compare, Oblonsky's and Dolly's, Karenina and Countess Lydia, ect. And the two sides to the issue of morality: the "fashionable" circle accepting adultry and immorality as part of their frivolous life-style. And the more conservative view of waiting until marriage and remaining faithful. I love that Tolstoy brings out that it is the place of God to judge, but these are still the mortal consequences of their actions. I think the lessons of morality should be applied to the world today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Karenina.