Amy's Reviews > Small Memories

Small Memories by José Saramago
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Memories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I returned this book the to library unfinished. The author writes beautifully, but both the subject matter and sentences were long and rambling, something I wasn't in the mood to work through.

message 2: by Cleokatra (new)

Cleokatra I've read one book by Saramago (Blindness). If I were going to return a book unfinished, that would be the one. It was an endless chore to get through all those run-on sentences and 10-page paragraphs. I will say that he gave me a new appreciation for the humble quotation mark.

I think I would give Saramago an A for inspiration and a D or F for execution. Execution? That's exactly the word! He executes prose unlike any other author I've encountered.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Cleokatra wrote: "It was an endless chore to get through all those run-on sentences and 10-page paragraphs. I will say that he gave me a new appreciation for the humble quotation mark."

He gave me new appreciation for the humble 'period' (or 'full stop'). His writing was lyrical, but my poor little brain needed a break in between thoughts. ;)