Jennifer's Reviews > Wild & Steamy

Wild & Steamy by Meljean Brook

Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: kindle, anthology, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, steampunk
Read from August 26 to September 14, 2011

This is an anthology featuring 3 novellas. My least favorite of the 3 was the Jill Myles story. I didn't hate it, but it didn't resonate much for me. Just another on the pile of promiscuous shapeshifter stories I guess. The whole idea of a woman's sexuality being driven by what type of animal she turns into isn't terribly unbelievable. But in this story it just seemed like a device to me, to allow her to shack up with 2 guys. And neither of them had any depth at all, they were pretty much cardboard cutouts who just fell into bed with her. Maybe I'm being too hard on this story, but given the company of the other two really great stories, this was the odd man out for me.

The Blushing Bounder by Meljean Brook is why I bought the anthology, this is a story set in her Iron Seas world, and frankly I just cannot get enough of that world! This is the story of Mina's assistant Constable Newberry, and tells us why he moved to London from America - to save his wife. It's a sweet little love story, perfectly set in the London of the Iron Seas. We get more fascinating glimpses of the steampunk setting and the aftereffects of Horde occupation. It was not as great for me as The Iron Duke or Here There Be Monsters... but I loved it.

The third and longest story included in this anthology is by an author I have never read before - Carolyn Crane. This is apparently book 2.5 from her "Disillusionists" series. I was really impressed with this story! In this imagined alternative America, there are regular humans and others who have telekinetic or telepathic powers. The two characters in the story are Sophia, whose power is memory revision - she can go into people's short term memories and revise them, wiping events out, adding new events in - and Robert. He is a force field guy, he can control geographic features and buildings with his mind via force fields, if he touches them. It sounds pretty Fantastic 4-y or something, I know, but the story of these two people is really a beautiful thing. The way Crane gradually reveals it is well done, especially in a novella of this length. There is a strong psychological component as well, within their relationship, in the way they use and are impacted by their powers. It is definitely on the darker side. I felt that the ending was not quite as strong as the buildup deserved but all in all I was very impressed and definitely plan to read this series!

Update: I just re-read Kitten-Tiger and the Monk after having read the first two books in the Disillusionists trilogy, and it's like a whole new story. The best part is at the end where Sophia has decided to tell Shelby something big - (view spoiler):) having read the other books certainly makes you appreciate what a shitty person Sophia has been, that's for sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild & Steamy.

08/26/2011 page 125