Erica's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Jul 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, growing-up, love-and-romance, magic, men-and-boys, other-worlds, travel
Read from August 29 to September 27, 2011

GAH! I don't know how many stars to give this book! I have battling opinions of my feelings toward this story. On one hand, it was engaging and imaginative and on the other, it was often irritating and cliche. It was like listening to four separate stories, which is sort of how the book is laid-out anyhow. There were times, later in the book, when good, ol' Quentin did or remembered something and I was a bit shocked until I remembered, "Oh, yeah...that WAS this book and not some other I read a few weeks back!" So, I liked that. I liked that so much happened I'd forgotten that it was all part of the same story. I hated Quentin and wanted to stab his face off, which is a good sign he was written well and was a very believable character. At the same time, I was never emotionally invested. I didn't feel sad at the sad parts. I didn't feel anger or indignation. It was just a story.
I loved the Harry-Potter-American-Style cheekiness of the first part; it made me smirk since I am not a Potter fan. The Life-After-School part bored me to tears. The Fillory (Narnia!) part was like reading a juvenile fantasy story, which was probably the intention and life thereafter was like reading a generic adult fiction paperback. It was just so weird. I liked some things, I didn't like others. I had strong feelings for or against characters, but not the story itself. I can't tell if I enjoyed the book or found it boring! It's all so confusing! So I give it a middle-of-the-road 3-star rating and will listen to the second book. Perhaps after that, my wishy-washy feelings will change.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

Michael I'm glad that you'll be listening to TMK. I found that after reading it, my opinion of the first book solidified.

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I felt the same way, in fact, I gave up on it half way through. It was not working for me and I'm a true believer of Nancy Pearl's advice, give it 50 pages, if it does not work for you, then move on to another book. Life's too short. I gave it more then 50 pages, I wanted to like this book, I couldn't do it.