Ariel's Reviews > The Call of the Wild

F_50x66
Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: classic
Read from August 08 to 09, 2011

I read this to help out my daughter who was assigned this book to read over the summer between sixth and seventh grade. I hated it. I wish they could have picked a better book. I could name 100 off the top of my head. My daughter is the greatest dog lover ever, she lives for dogs and this book was non stop violence against them. There were times that tears were pouring down her face. I think it's cruelty to make her read this book. All of the dogs die and in gruesome painful ways. After watching all of his friends drown Buck, the main dog character finally achieves a little kernel of happiness with the one person in the book who actually seems to care for dogs. Of course that is cruelly ripped away from him by some made up some blood thirsty Native Americans. Nice stereotype there. Other people are referred to as "half breeds". Not too PC. If you are into reading about dogs being tortured then this is the book for you. Thanks for tormenting school kids everywhere and making my daughter cry Jack London.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call of the Wild.