Diane's Reviews > Faith of the Fallen

Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

Aug 29, 11

Read from August 08 to 17, 2011

After Soul of the Fire I wasn't too sure if I was ready for another several hundred page Goodkind book. Thankfully, this installment in the Sword of Truth series proved to be worth the read. Unlike his other books, this is a much faster paced read, at least in consideration of time. Instead of covering one year over the course of six books, he covered a year inside the space of 700 pages which was a refreshing change. It's hard to imagine that so much can happen in just a year's time, so this is a bit more realistic (or as realistic as a fantasy series can get).

In this installment we find Richard abandoned by his home, Hartland, and its people. They have even fallen under the provocative sound of the Imperial Order and all of the morals it spews. What follows is a deeper look into the Imperial Order's flawed governing system. There's a moral cause, but completely misguided. It sounds great, but it looks awful because it isn't governed properly. In a word, it's idealistic. Unfortunately, ideals are very rarely plausible in reality and unfortunately for the whole of the map that we get in each book the people are falling under this rule.

We also get a background to Nicci, a Sister of the Dark, and a previous teacher of Richard's at the Palace of the Prophets. We not only get what she's been doing since the Palace fell, but also her past so that we might care for her. She's obviously a hard character to write since she is powerful, supposed to be evil, but also confused and I think Goodkind does a valiant effort at trying his best at her. Though she never quite fits right. Whether that was intentional to communicate her own confusion or it was just hard to write her is not for me to say, but it did take away from the book itself.

The story is centered around Richard who is always being captured. Nicci is the culprit this time and though she doesn't use a physical collar, she uses one in the form of Kahlan. I'll say no more so I don't ruin it for you, but it's certainly a clever form of a collar. A collar nonetheless. In the interim, it's a convenient time to be captured since Richard's plans to do anything about the Imperial Order became stagnant since the people must prove themselves to him and realize the need for unity. Similar to Greek city-states, those that wish to fight against the uniformity of the Order must band together and show him what they are capable of accomplishing.

Kahlan is left in the dust with Cara to help the D'Haran soldiers. Unfortunately, things don't go very well as the Imperial Order is put into perspective for the reader. What small victories are accrued are ruined quickly by the sheer size that the Imperial Order has accomplished in gaining.

On a lighter note, Goodkind also comments on art and its subsequent power. He plays around with the idea that an idea can't die. A person can, but art can change people's lives forever and it can become an idea which is part of an altogether immaterial realm that won't die. Art can change the course of action and of faith and of entire lands if properly imposed upon them. I tip my hat to Goodkind for that commentary.

The book itself is, as usual, a quick read and surprisingly jam packed with action. My only dislikes were Nicci's portrayal and Goodkind's consistent fall back to getting Richard captured and having him busy with one thing or the other instead of the Imperial Order. Always two conflicts, always getting captured. It gets a bit drab. I'm just happy it wasn't another Soul of the Fire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faith of the Fallen.

Quotes Diane Liked

Terry Goodkind
“Honor is honesty to what is, not blind duty to what you wish to be.”
Terry Goodkind, Faith of the Fallen

Terry Goodkind
“There were those who loved liberty, who cried out to live their own lives, to strive, to rise above, to achieve, and those bent on the mindless equality of stagnation brought about through the enforcement of an artificial, arbitrary, gray uniformity--those who wanted to transcend through their own effort, and those who wanted others to think for them and were willing to pay the ultimate price.”
Terry Goodkind, Faith of the Fallen