Charlotte's Reviews > Where the God of Love Hangs Out

Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom

Jan 02, 2013

Disappointing, because her first collection of stories was so stunning and original. A bookjacket-reviewer said something like, "She packs more into a single sentence than most writers put into an entire novel." I wholeheartedly agree, even here, with this odd collection of forced and stale material. Read one sentence and you're sucked right into another world. Depite its shortcomings, Bloom continues to be a wonderful writer here, who is still exploring surprising subjects with an unflinching and affectionate curiosity. You'll find some of her old, classic stories in this collection, followed by newly written sequels. The sequels pale in comparison. There's one brand new cluster of stories about a suprising, middle aged infidelity and its consequences that's really absorbing. There's also an odd, completely morbid story that takes place in phone conversations between the mother and the college roomate of a dead girl. It never really takes off, never finds a place of transcendence or takes us to a new place. If you haven't read Amy Bloom before, I'd suggest you start with "Love is not a Pie."
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the God of Love Hangs Out.