Sam Woodfield's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

F_50x66
Aug 08, 11

I thought this book was OK but thats about as good as it was. There was something lacking from this which stopped it being an excellent novel, which I think it had the potential to be. The climax of the novel was short lived and not therefore didnt develop the plot as much as it should done and it really was a long time coming. I also think the use of 'she' throughout made me quite detatched from the characters meaning I didnt really feel any emotion in relation to their plight which I really should have based upon the premise of the story.

Its a real shame that this is the case becasue I think I can see what Shreve wanted to achieve with this and actually think the story is quite interesting but I just wasnt as engrossed as I needed to be to fully enjoy this story. I think there was too much description and not enough character development andd this made it abit of a slog in places.

I think I would be tempted to try a few of Shreves other novels to see if I could get use to her style and come to appreciate her work, but as a first attempt I think there is something missing for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.