Sam Woodfield's Reviews > The Dice Man

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart

F_50x66
Aug 08, 11

Read in August, 2011

This really is an interesting book. I had heard lots about this book and it's concept prior to reading and had quite high expectations and it was almost as good as I expected. I found Luke Rhinehart's charcter really interesting, with his multiple personalities dictated by the roll of a dice. The actions that Rhinehart is prepared to undertake based upon his dice rolls are also very interesting, but it did raise many questions for me such as how much of the action is indeed down to chance, and how much down to the odds that the roller gives these options.
I did find the characters very interesting, and the arguments for the 'dicelife' very convincing and well researched, and Dr Rhinehart a very charasmatic character to sell this life to the public. I did, however, think there was a little bit too much emphasis on sexual escapades which was interesting for a time, but a little too excessive for my own taste, and I do question whether the roll of a dice would really drive someone to murder, or whether natural human instinct would intervene at this point.
However, overall I found this really interesting, and found the psychological insight really good. A very good read that I will be passing on to others and would encourage all to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dice Man.