Dr. Ben's Reviews > Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships

Opening Up by Tristan Taormino

Mar 21, 12

Read from August 08, 2011 to March 20, 2012

Excellent resource on non-monogamy/open relationships. It's a bit dry, which I think explains why The Ethical Slut tends to be the more often read guide on non-monogamy, but while The Ethical Slut is the more titillating of the two, Taormnio's guide to non-monogamy is more comprehensive, down-to-earth, and accessible for beginners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Opening Up.

Quotes Dr. Ben Liked

Tristan Taormino
“Another [interviewee] told me that because her relationships aren't built on false ideas about exclusivity forever, she feels more cherished by her partners; she said, "There is an investment in what we have rather than what we should have.”
Tristan Taormino, Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships

Tristan Taormino
“Nonmonogamous folks are constantly engaged in their relationships: they negotiate and establish boundaries, respect them, test them, and, yes, even violate them. But the limits are not assumed or set by society; they are consciously chosen.”

Tristan Taormino
“Open marriage thus can be defined as a relationship in which the partners are committed to their own and to each other's growth. It is an honest and open relationship of intimacy and self-disclosure based on the equal freedom and identity of both partners.”

Tristan Taormino
“It is a relationship that is flexible enough to allow for change and that is constantly being renegotiated in the light of changing needs, consensus in decision-making, acceptance and encouragement of individual growth, and openness to new possibilities for growth.”

Tristan Taormino
“Eli likes to explore with other people different kinds of sex that his partner doesn't enjoy; he says, 'It enables me to show different aspects of my sexuality to those who appreciate them most.”

Tristan Taormino
“Open relationships can give you the freedom to create unique relationships, explore yourself and your sexuality, and challenge society's expectations.”

Tristan Taormino
“This is the myth of finding "the One": the one partner you're "meant" to be with, your soul mate, your Prince Charming, the girl of your dreams. Nonmonogamous folks reject this myth and acknowledge that no one person can be, or should be expected to be, everything for another.”

Tristan Taormino
“People in open relationships enjoy exploring different dynamics with different people-sexual, emotional, psychological, and spiritual. Non-monogamy gives them the opportunity to create unique relationships that nourish and support each other.”

Tristan Taormino
“Nonmonogamous folks recognize that during a lifetime you can and will be attracted to other people even if you are in a wonderful, fulfilling relationship; they make room in their relationship for these attractions rather than allow them to cause anxiety, jealousy, and unreasonable expectations.”

Tristan Taormino
“You can't plan for everything: obstacles will still come up that you never talked about-that it never even occurred to you to discuss. Issues that you never anticipated will push your buttons. Behavior that you thought wouldn't make you jealous will. So, consider as many details as you can beforehand, and be ready for new ones to pop up.”

08/08/2011 page 35
01/26/2012
6.0% "I'm still interested in this, so I'm making an effort to not get distracted by fiction this time (I have trouble keeping focus on non-fiction because I am BAD AT BEING A NERD). Restarting the book so I get the coherent whole of it at once."
show 6 hidden updates…