Lisa's Reviews > The Bad Beginning

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Aug 10, 11

Read in August, 2011

This is such an interesting children's book. It is very dark and not what you'd expect from a book for children.

I love my copy of the book with this cover & in hardback. The character's are three children who seem wise beyond their years.

In a way, this reminded me of the movie "Matilda"(I haven't read the book). Matilda is about a girl who gets treated badly by her family but is incredibly smart and resilient.

This book is about three children whose parents tragically die and they are sent to live with Count Olaf, a distant relative they've never met. Count Olaf treats the children like slaves and gives them one bed between the three of them.

Violet, one of the three children, will recieve a large sum of money when she comes of age and Count Olaf plots how to get the money.

It's a dark story. Not super dark but for a children's book, it is very dark. There is also a weird plot that involves an incestuous marriage but it's quite comical in a way. The only way to read it is to just enjoy it and not take it too seriously.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Beginning.

Camila I loved this series!

message 2: by Tia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tia This was my favourite series as a child, I'm so glad you liked it! I know a lot of people who stopped after the fourth book because they said they were all the same, but don't! The fifth one is where the epic mystery picks up and they get sooo much better.

Lisa I'm on the second one now! I haven't had much time to read it but I intend to read them all(I bought the first 10 in the series in a boxset, from ebay). I find it to be very mischevious and playful, which I adore.

message 4: by Tia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tia It really is, I love them so much.<3 When I was little I used to fall asleep listening to the audiobooks, I just adored them that much. I think my favourites are The Ersatz Elevator, The Carnivorous Carnival, and The Penultimate Peril. :D