Michelle Madow's Reviews > Tempest

Tempest by Julie Cross

Oct 27, 11

bookshelves: time-travel, science-fiction, favorites
Read from October 22 to 24, 2011

Have you ever read a book that's so amazing, and you love it so much, that you know even the best review can't give the book the justice it deserves?

Tempest was a book like that for me.

I was drawn to Tempest when I saw the "broken flux capacitors" reference in the summary. Back to the Future is my favorite movie ever, so I knew Tempest was going to be a book for me! And I was right. Just like the summary of the book says, the time travel in Tempest doesn't require a DeLorean, flux capacitor, or plutonium. (Or a Mr. Fusion once Doc updates the car in the future.) Julie Cross has created a whole new version of time travel, and I absolutely loved it! She brings alternate time lines into the mix, which adds a cool spin on things. It also made me think and theorize, which I loved. (Time-travel/alternate time-line/parallel universe topics always make me excited. I'm cool like that ;)

Jackson was a fantastic main character. He's a 19 year old guy, which we don't see much of as protagonists in YA fiction, so it was nice to read about someone different. He only recently learned he can time travel, but nothing he does affects his time line, so he has fun with it. What I liked best about him was how much he loved and cared for the people in his life, even if he wasn't big on showing it all the time. His actions said everything. His girlfriend Holly was great as well. We got to see her in both 2009 and 2007, and I liked seeing the two different Holly's. It was obvious from meeting both of them how two years -- especially between 17 and 19 -- can change a person. And Adam was awesome. He's the Doc Brown of the group. I imagine Doc's teenage self, if he was a teenager in 2009, would have been very similar to Adam! I also loved Jackson's twin Courtney, although I don't want to say much about her for fear of spoiling the book if you haven't read it yet. I'm hoping we get to learn more about her throughout the series, because I have a feeling there's more to her story than what we learned in Tempest.

And then there was the ending. Wow. I don't want to give away spoilers, but the end will tug at your heart so much. I'm just glad I know this is going to be a trilogy, because if that was really the end, I would get seriously sad. There are also so many questions (and theories!) I want answers to, so I can't wait to read the rest of this series.

Oh yeah, Tempest has also been optioned to become a movie! The book read very cinematically, so I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

Thank you, Julie Cross, for writing such an excellent novel! I wish I could time travel into the future so I could read the rest of the trilogy without having to wait.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest.

message 1: by Matt (new) - rated it 1 star

Matt You always manage to get books like, eons before they're released! D: HOOOOOOOOOW

message 2: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Madow NexxLyte wrote: "You always manage to get books like, eons before they're released! D: HOOOOOOOOOW"

I get review copies ... this one is from NetGalley :)

Bonnie (A Backwards Story) I just received a review copy today!!!!

message 4: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Madow Bonnie at wrote: "I just received a review copy today!!!!"

I hope you love it, too! :)

Bonnie (A Backwards Story) Me too! I've been hearing great things. Reading my NG copy of LEGACY finally, and then I'll probably start on MY VERY UNFAIRY TALE LIFE next, which I was also approved for today, lol!

message 6: by Matt (new) - rated it 1 star

Matt Wow, sounds exciting! Can't wait to read it.

message 7: by Em (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em I just finished the book. I loved Jackson, Holly, and Adam. And the ending did effect me );

Reem Hardan Can't agree more