Pete daPixie's Reviews > Imagine This: Growing Up with My Brother, John Lennon

Imagine This by Julia Baird

Aug 19, 2011

bookshelves: poptastic, autobiogs
Read from August 18 to 19, 2011

Maybe this all started in 1485. Perhaps Richard III on the field of Bosworth hurled a curse toward Lord Stanley and his heirs that has filtered through to the present. Julia Baird's 'Imagine This', published 2007, is a well written, intelligent and highly emotional memoir of pain and tragedy within the family of one John Winston Lennon.
The traumatic strands of this tale are revealed long before the pointless slaying at the Dakota, back to the Stanley sisters in WWII Liverpool. At the epicentre of the whirlwind is Baird's and John's mother, Julia Lennon, who's personality, life struggles and spirit has clearly guided and touched her daughters biographical account, that finally exposes the truth and family secrets, exhumed into print for the first time.
"Mother you had me,
but I never had you.
I wanted you,
you didn't want me."
John's 'Mother' lyrics clearly show the pain and misunderstanding that the man himself suffered into his later life. Julia Baird puts the record straight.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imagine This.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm looking with positive anticipation for your review. I've read so many books on Lennon and the other Beatles, some of which were very good and others less so. It is good that John's half-sister emptied her memory bank before she died......mgc

Pete daPixie Your comment has made me check up on Julia Baird, I can't find info on any death!

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Okay, perhaps I could have phrased that differently. I have no idea if Julia is living or dead. I simply wanted to say I'm happy she wrote the book and did not take her memories to her grave and deny us the opportunity to share what I hope are factual recollections....mgc

Pete daPixie Aaaah o.k. Yeah pretty sure the author is still with us! You should read her book Michael, I'm sure you will enjoy the read.
I certainly got some emotional connection with this book, a down to earth and tragic tale.

message 5: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue You've certainly enticed me with this review Pete.

Pete daPixie Coo coo ca choo Sue!

message 7: by Sue (new) - added it