Brandi's Reviews > The Book of Dragons

The Book of Dragons by E. Nesbit

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: read-aloud, underrated, awesome-magical-creatures
Recommended for: children and parents
Read on August 08, 2011

This book contains fairy tales and stories about dragons. Each story is different; some are about princes or princesses, while others are about regular children who happen upon magical creatures in their daily lives. I enjoyed all of the stories, and I think they'd be great read aloud.

However, as with other children's books of its era (such as The Princess and the Goblin), it contains a few violent parts that we might frown on today. These instances are few and far between, and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

What I like about Nesbit's writing is her ability to connect with her readers. She often speaks directly to the reader, instead of just telling a story like it is. I found myself laughing at her humor, while enjoying the good moral quality she adds. I look forward to reading more of her works.

Note: Nesbit mentions a man named St. George in a few of the stories. He is a legendary figure who slayed mythical creatures. For a complete history (and an interesting read), see The Faerie Queene.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Dragons.

08/08/2011 page 23
13.0% "I just finished "The Book of Beasts"."
08/08/2011 page 51
25.0% "Just finished "Uncle James, or The Purple Stranger"."
08/08/2011 page 74
36.0% "Just finished the third story. Wasn't as good as the first two, but still entertaining."
show 1 hidden update…