Jennifer's Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

F_50x66
Aug 08, 11

** spoiler alert ** 1.5 stars, maybe.

I really must stop believing the recommendations of people I don't know.... Too many cliches, and the plot and characterizations were simplistic, not simple. Very much driven by narrative necessity--things happen the way they do because it's convenient for the author, not because it makes sense. Some least favorite moments (spoilers, obviously):

A mysterious "silver filigree boat" that (suddenly and conveniently) appears can be identified as the former queen's because of a scrap of blue silk left in an oarlock because, we are informed for the first time at that moment that blue was her favorite color, as you can tell because she wears it in every portrait. Why/how did the scrap of silk get caught in the oarlock anyhow?

The under-gardener is a knitter. Nothing wrong with knitting, of course--but to be switching back and forth between gardening and knitting throughout the day? His knitting would be in sad shape.

The princess catches pneumonia within a few hours of getting dunked in a fountain, and all her sisters (all 11 of them) immediately catch it too, but none of their maids, e.g.

You're a powerful and corrupt officer of the church conducting an official investigation of witchcraft, you've already demonstrated that you have the right and poewr to arrest people, you find out that a soldier has broken into your chambers, and you personally tie him up and stuff him in your wardrobe instead of, say, having him arrested?

I'll leave it there. Out of justice, I will say that my kid will probably enjoy this book just fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.