Bryan Kibbe's Reviews > Philosophical Investigations

Philosophical Investigations by Ludwig Wittgenstein

2017984
Aug 08, 11

Read in August, 2011

The Philosophical Investigations is a landmark book in the history of philosophy. I felt like I could not quite call myself a philosopher until I had worked through this one, and I am glad I did. Wittgenstein's style of writing, short bursts of sometimes cryptic thought, is something to be experienced first hand. In a world where 140 character statements via twitter reign, it is interesting to read Wittgenstein. Some of Wittgenstein's statements do come in at under 140 characters, but what makes Wittgenstein's famously succinct statements often so profound is their position in a larger work that is so clearly conscious of itself and oriented around certain sustained themes. While the Twitter generation may be tempted to read only selections of Wittgenstein, I would highly encourage serious readers to sit down with the entirety of this book. The meaning of this book cannot be decomposed into the meaning of its individual statements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Philosophical Investigations.