Michael's Reviews > Open

Open by Andre Agassi

Aug 08, 2011

bookshelves: favorite
Read from August 15 to 19, 2011

Wow. I think this has been my favorite book this year and possibly of all time. It's my first biography book and I only chose it because I'm rediscovering my love for the game of tennis.
I came off of a high reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" by Tim Gallwey thinking, "that was the best book I've read this year" only to be re-wowed by this one. Wow.
Agassi, with the help of a ghost writer, reveals his history of the beginnings with his dad, rebellious teenage years, continued frustrations off and on the court, and team of solid supporters who stuck it out with him through the good and the bad. He describes his wins, I feel elation; he describes losses, I feel the end of the world; he describes Steffi Graf, I get first-date butterflies; he describes education as his new-found purpose in life, I consider adopting it as my own.
I think that I enjoyed this book more so because I enjoy tennis but I also think the non-player will thoroughly enjoy reading the book. You'd probably enjoy reading it even if you're not a sports fan at all. Wow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open.

08/15/2011 page 20
5.0% "I've only started the book and I can already tell I'll thoroughly enjoy it. Enjoyable writing prose, first person narration, vocabulary, and insight."
show 2 hidden updates…