stephanie's Reviews > Another Thing to Fall

Another Thing to Fall by Laura Lippman

Apr 08, 08

bookshelves: 2008, trashythrillers, mystery
Recommended to stephanie by: a.
Recommended for: anyone who likes thrillers, people familiar with baltimore
Read in April, 2008

okay, i don't know if it's just because the last two books i read were so disappointing, but i think i've found a new favorite writer in this genre. true, she's not as twisted as karin slaughter, she's not as medical tess gerritsen, and she doesn't have weird but somehow believable things with the paranormal going on like iris johansen. but she wins big time for having a completely lovable, strong, believable female protagonist.

i love the baltimore setting, and i love that i know lippman isn't just paying service to the neighborhood (the way the tv show being shot in the book is), but she actually knows her city and she seems to love it.

honestly, tess monaghan is right up there with eve duncan, jane rizzoli and maura isles, and say . . . the protagonist from tami hoag's Dark Horse. she's flawed but she's smart, her best friend whitney is an absolute hoot, she has a past i can't wait to delve into (this is the most recent in the series - i plan to go back to the beginning), she frank, direct, the writing is crisp and clear, and i really felt a love of baltimore in the pages, which was so nice.

it's a good story with just enough twists to keep you wondering, and just enough crazy characters to be in this genre, but really, it's a good story. i would have liked a little more character development, but i get the feeling these are characters most people know (crow, whitney, lloyd, tess herself) - and i kind of LOVED the fact there wasn't some recap of tess' personal history early on. like, we know she shot someone and she almost died. awesome, that makes me want to read more of the books, unlike the parts of say, James Patterson's women's mystery club series that remind me of the way my old babysitters club books used to be written: this is this character and she's like this; this is character b and she's like this because of this; blah blah, skip the first three chapters and you haven't missed anything.

out of all my favorite female protagonists, i think tess might be the most believable. (lena adams and sara linton still own my heart, but tess is encroaching.) i might change my mind when i actually find out the history i want to know, but right now? laura lippman just gave me a wonderful april present.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Thing to Fall.

message 1: by A. (new) - rated it 3 stars

A. yay, i'm glad someone else is reading lippman! i discovered her when i picked up a used copy of one of the early tess books at a library book sale and just fell head over heels in love (partially it helps because she writes about my hometown the way i've always wanted to, and not been able to, but mostly i just love tess and the supporting cast); i read them all out of order, though, and would totally recommend AGAINST doing that. i think i would have loved them even more if i'd read them in order.

stephanie i am trying to read them in order but my library doesn't want to cooperate . . . and i'm going to have to get the first one on my own, as it doesn't seem to exist in the entirety of the new york public library system, which seems a little bizarre. then again, the fact they have ONE copy of charm city and baltimore blues with 30 people waiting for each doesn't give me a lot of hope. but there's tons of Linda Fairstein - maybe they assume we are so self-centered we only like to read about our own city? ;)