karen's Reviews > Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing

Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett

Oct 08, 14

bookshelves: les-animaux

greg brought this up to me last week, and i don't know how i have missed it all these years!! this book has a message i can stand behind.

initially, it goes into the ways that animals in clothing is impractical because of the nature of animals' bodies and the limitations of human clothing to stay on or enhance those animals, but then it ends with the most convincing point: animals in clothing is just plain embarrassing! to them and to us.poor animals, why do people try to steal your dignity by putting you in clothing that is unnecessary? why would a dog need little booties?? this is the equivalent of taking your average child and slapping it in a bubble - it is just going to weaken and soften your child like counter butter, and all the other kids/dogs are going to make fun of them. no booties, no bubbles. this is my presidential platform. it is not as good as:

but it is what i am putting out there.just say no.

i am going to make my own television commercial, where i put those poor sarah mclachlan shelter and circus-animals in clothing and play some manipulative tune over it, and then you will all see!

here,try this - sing that song to yourself and look at these animals and pretend they are from some shelter where they have to wear these clothes all the time and at the end of it all, the keepers will put them down unless someone steps in to gently but firmly remove the clothing.

oh my god, are you laughing?? you are a monster.
70 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing.

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Please FedEx me the kitty in the plaid skirt. She looks very sweet in that outfit.

and DON'T forget to make sure there are air holes in the box!! Not so much tape! She will be too warm!

karen really?? you don't think she looks very very angry?? i feel like she would rather be in an airhole-less box.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Her eyes look like happy to me. My cats are always angry when we put hats on them. They make slitted angry eyes at us.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I agree we with almost everything you said. I have one point to add and one addendum to make:

1. Clothing can mask a dog's natural scent; this is off-putting to other dogs and can cause fights.

2. I almost always disagree with dogs wearing booties, but then I moved to an apartment complex where the management is so afraid of being sued that they completely oversalt the sidewalks. My poor dog was really suffering. I bought her a pair of Muttluks, and she pranced - literally pranced about in the snow after getting them because her feet didn't hurt any more.

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia I used to have a pointer mix named Maggie who would get ice between the pads of her feet. It made her cry, so I got her some snow boots. She hated them, but at least she didn't cry in pain on her walks.

[Name Redacted] I think it would help if the song was ambiguous (as with the commercials' use of Willie Nelson's cover of "Always On My Mind"), or inadvertently conveyed a message of bestiality (as with the commercials' use of "My Skin" by Natalie Merchant).

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen I'm with Ian.

Also, the primate seems to be dressing himself/herself, and I'm thinking I'm okay with that. Especially if he grabbed it off someone leaning over the barrier.

karen i have already caved on monkeys in space being allowed to wear spacesuits.

i will have to ponder this salt/booties thing...

[Name Redacted] At least we can all agree that Catholic schoolgirl uniforms on cats are a crime against nature, right?

karen i think cats should be free to choose their own religions, yes.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia My cat Henry is a Buddhist.

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen I think my cat is an Egoistic Anarchist.

message 13: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! I would like to vote for Connor Ratliff. He's a sensible man who obviously knows his numbers and can lead this country out of debt.

message 14: by karen (last edited Aug 09, 2011 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen he is pleased to hear this.
you will be hearing more from him.

message 15: by Paquita Maria (new)

Paquita Maria Sanchez An Elvis costume on my old pug (Ralph Maccio) taught me that animals can and do feel some sort of primal version of embarrassment/shame over being treated like paper dolls. He wouldn't even look at me for days afterward.

karen i should run over to greg's while i am still catsitting and dress up mooncheese as a nice welcome-home surprise.

message 17: by Paquita Maria (new)

Paquita Maria Sanchez I suggest a ninja costume.

message 18: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I think I had this as a kid.

message 19: by Greg (new)

Greg I would have been shocked if I had come home to Mooncheese in an outfit.

karen maybe next time...

karen maybe next time...

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Sometimes she stutters, Elizabeth. Please don't tease her about it. She is a sensitive, lovely girl.

karen hahahaahah impatient is more like it....

message 24: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely I love those pictures, Karen.

karen ahh!! khal drogo!!

message 26: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Don't u want to change your profile pix with that of Dany's?

karen with her pets!!

message 28: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely yes, all the three of them!

message 29: by TL (new)

TL never would have done that to Tasha, don't understand why people would put clothes on their furry babies.. great review though

karen abuse, i say!! abuuuuuse!

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa "this book has a message i can stand behind". Okay, who's cuter than you? No one, and that's why I love karen!

message 32: by Delee (new)

Delee I may have laughed...once...maybe twice. Sorry.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Delee wrote: "I may have laughed...once...maybe twice. Sorry."

I would expect as much from you, Delee! tsk, tsk.

message 34: by Delee (last edited Oct 08, 2014 08:10PM) (new)

Delee It was the elf dog and the Weinheimer in P.J.s- I couldn't help myself. I said I was sorry...so it doesn't count.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Well not counting elf dog I did pretty well :)

message 36: by Kat Stark (new)

Kat Stark Adorbs.

message 37: by Erica (new)

Erica Toki hates dressing up. HATES it.
Evie, though...unless it's a hat and as long as she can walk around? Well, she'd totally wear that dress. She'd probably write a letter to the yuckoons, enclosing a picture, stating that they may have yucky little hands but SHE has the clothings, now, so she is more better than they are. Then she would sit around smugly in her dress and wait for the praise to come pouring in. She would probably also attack the bow.