Emma's Reviews > Specials

Sep 29, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopian, series, owned-kindle
Read from September 25 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Tally is now a Special - and not only that, she is a special Special; a member of the Cutters headed up by sometimes friend and often enemy Shay. They push the boundaries of being Icy and their ultimate goal is to find and bring down the New Smoke.

I found this book a real slog, which was surprising considering how much action there was in it - as well as the fact that the characters and the set up were all so familiar. It should have been an easy read but it wasn't - I had to restrain myself from skim-reading about a third of it.

In some ways I felt like I was just re-reading Uglies and Pretties over again because so much of the plot structure was repeated; Tally undergoes an operation; Tally goes on an adventure out in the wild; her and Shay argue, etc, etc. And speaking of Shay, her character is one of the most bizarre and irritating I've ever come across - over the course of the series I swear she must have changed personality at least six times.

It's not that I was looking for a happy ending and I think I can see where Westerfield was trying to go with this book but he just didn't dig into the complexities of the situations nearly enough. There was lots of potential and it felt like it was wasted. (view spoiler) Overall, pretty disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Specials.

09/26/2011 page 100