Liora's Reviews > Cookie Dough or Die

F 50x66
Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: cozy-mystery
Read in August, 2011

In this first book in a new cozy mystery series, Olivia owns a shop called The Gingerbread House which sells cookies, cookie cutters, and specialty bakeware. The store is on the ground floor of a restored old Victorian in the downtown area of a small town in Maryland. Olivia and her small Yorkshire pup, Spunky, live upstairs. The book opens with the death of Olivia's friend and business mentor, Clarisse Chamberlain, apparently an accidental overdose of sleeping pills that were dissolved into a bottle of wine. Olivia is suspicious about this accident from the beginning, and with her curious questioning nature and steady persistence, the true story begins to unfold.

I found this to be a light, enjoyable entry into the crowded cozy field. It seems that I am reading a lot of series firsts lately. Nevertheless, I liked Olivia and her best friend Maddie, and the cookie and cookie cutter theme was different. The mystery was nicely plotted and there were some elements, like the will reading, and the gathering at the end of the novel, that reminded me of the old mystery classics. I would have liked a little more on the setting, however, as these details were fairly sparse.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cookie Dough or Die.