Mel's Reviews > Fury's Kiss

Fury's Kiss by Karen Chance

Oct 14, 12

Read in October, 2012

You know when you have a friend who just loves to tell stories? Who has the habit of including lots of info, explaining a lot of detail, and pretty much makes detouring into an art? Whose stories are entertaining as hell, but sometimes you just can't help wishing she'd get to the point already?
Well, Karen Chance is that friend.

There is a lot going on in this book. Which is usual for a Chance story, but this book seemed even more action packed and chaotic than normal.
Fury's Kiss is the longest book out of the series (it has 163 pages more than Midnight's Daughter). I feel like a shorter, tighter story would have been better, because the plot lacked an overall focus and the action scenes -with their elaborate set up, the high speed fighting and the sardonic commentary- were entertaining, but made me go "huh?" on more than one occasion. There was so much going on that at certain parts I really couldn't follow what was happening.
Which is sad because Chance really is a gifted story teller and her characters are to die for.

Thankfully, there was a lot to enjoy about them. Dory is still a great combination of kick ass and vulnerable, the main men (Louis-Cesare and Mircea) are still a mix of outer perfection and inner turmoil, and the extras (Radu, Ray; but also: Claire, Stinky and the French servants) still guarantee some great comic relief.

Also: there were some very touching, endearing and romantic moments in the story, which managed to not get lost despite the overabundance of action.

All in all, Fury's Kiss is still a good book, but certainly not Chance's best. I'm hoping for a 'less is more'-approach next time.
3,5 stars
30 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury's Kiss.

Quotes Mel Liked

Karen Chance
“If I'm not supposed to be awake, why are you here?" I mumbled.
"To be the little spoon.”
Karen Chance, Fury's Kiss

10/10/2012 page 184
34.0% "Oh Louis-Cesare. You're purrrrrrfect!"

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ The wait is killing me! I need my Mircea fix!

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh daddy Mircea is even more yumm than regular Mircea!

I was just thinking today that the new KC book should be published around May or something since last book was posted in June. But...OCTOBER?!?!?
And seriously: why? I know she was behind on Cassie #5 because she fell ill, but I thought she had made up for last time ages ago...

message 3: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ (last edited Apr 17, 2012 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I have no idea. I mean, I love her books but this is a loooooooooooooong wait. I was hoping she might publish one of the free short stories (Masks or Shadowland) before Fury's Kiss.

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel That's not going to happen either? Damnit, I really need to catch up on the KC tread.
Btw: did you read the Dory short? I'm savoring it...

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ Well, she didn't say anything about the shorts. I know Shadowland was up a while back for a day and then was taken down again. It will be changed and re-published but I don't know when. She doesn't give dates.

I don't remember if I read that one. What's the title?

Are you posting in the KC group?

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel No I don't post on the KC thread anymore, but Enjee keeps me updated most of the time. And the Karen Chance newsletter. Dory's short has been released as a freebie. It's up on the KC site.
It's very short and typical KC: funny and all over the place. And there is one sentence uttered by LC on the last page which sums it all up perfectly :)

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I read In Vino Veritas and really liked it. The drinking contest was sooo funny.

But now the waiting continues! *sighs*

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Agh... October....

message 9: by Sato (new)

Sato Mizu I thought i was the only one who was obsessed with LC tongue!

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh no, get in line.

message 11: by MsMiz (Tina) (new) - added it

MsMiz (Tina) I almost forgot about these books. Man it seems FOREVER. Okay just pre-ordered.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I hope you'll read the book soon. I really enjoyed it!

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I'm starting this today! :)

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ Seems like you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. Are you going to write a review?

message 16: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Huh? How did you know? I just finished my review!

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel The review explains it all really. One thing I REALLY loved though: little spoon!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Mel wrote: "The review explains it all really. One thing I REALLY loved though: little spoon!"

That moment was super sweet. Made me smile. Aww!

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Awww indeed :) Oh I love Louis-Ceare. Loved also how he said Dory was 'a joy'... *swoon*

My favorite LC/Dory dynamic though was in Midnight's Daughter. They were so great together.

Nichole (Dirrty H) this book seemed even more action packed and chaotic than normal. Is that even possible??

message 21: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel You wouldn't think so, but it is. I'm curious to see what you think. When are you going to read it?

Nichole (Dirrty H) I'm re-reading the first two so that I'm not totally confused. I finished Midnight's Daughter and started Death's Mistress last night. So hopefully I'll get to Fury's Kiss soon, but I might actually get to move into my house this weekend!!! So that might put a crimp in my reading time.

message 23: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh yay! You mean you bought it?

Nichole (Dirrty H) Mel wrote: "Oh yay! You mean you bought it?"

The book or the house? lol. Yes to both. Well, I close on the house tomorrow so it's still not official but getting closer.

message 25: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Yay congrats!!! Oh the joy of owning your own house! It must be wonderful. Have fun with it (and the book).

The Flooze Read it. Oooo, this wall coming down business should be FUN!

message 27: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison I just started this one today after re-reading books 1&2.
The 2m=nd book felt like it was a 0.5 book eg 1.5 instead of book 2 untill you get about a third of the way through.

Still interesting and funny.
Can't wait to get into this book :)

message 28: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars