Amira's Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

It seems like everything could finally work out for Sam and Grace. But with interference from her parents (who suddenly decided to be parents rather than 'roommates' as Grace puts it) and the realisation that something is very wrong with Grace, threatens to tear them apart. There is also disruptive introduction of Cole who intervenes in Sam's and Isabel's lives, for the better and worse.

The first person narration (which I think is quite hard to do, without making the characters boring or make them seem self obsessed) is actually brilliantly done in this book. The swapping of POV even within the same scene makes it clear you're dealing with a very skilful writer and well developed characters who have distinct, strong and unique voices.
I like characters that are real and true, such as rock'n'roll bad-boys like Cole St Clair in this book. Even though I'm sure there might be some guys out there that are decent, sensitive and creative like Sam, usually I find they're like Cole: 90% arrogant idiot, 10% redeemable quality. That 10% is just enough to keep you interested, as Isabel discovers.
His music backstory is so cool and unique. Cole is the perfect mix of dangerously charming, self destructive, emotionally damaged, talented and hidden vulnerability. He's such a great male character, which you rarely get in novels. Especially of the supernatural romance genre, when they're usually demi-gods like Edward Cullen, or simple sweet guys like Jacob Black. Cole reminds me of a verse in a song by The Script, 'We Cry'.

He also thinks hilariously cynical things like: 'The entire room was so yellow that it looked like the sun had thrown up on the walls and wiped its mouth afterwards on the dresser and curtains'. Which made me laugh out loud for a good couple of minutes.
Anyway enough of Cole, better end the review before it becomes a Cole-Love-Fest.

After I finish any of Stiefvater's The Wolves of Mercy Falls books, I feel like not a lot happened in terms of plot events, but its impossible not to be drawn into this world. And I'm sorry to be finished with it now, but I guess its better to be left wanting more . . .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.

Quotes Amira Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“There was something awful about terror trapped behind silence.”
tags: cole

Maggie Stiefvater
“...she made her home in between the pages of books.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're not that girl,' Cole said, sounding tired. 'Trust me, I've seen enough of them to know. Look. Don't cry. You're not that girl either.'

'Oh yeah? What girl am I?'

'I'll let you know when I figure it out. Just don't cry.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You could write a book about things that you can't find on-line.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Most people had an acquired kind of beauty, they became better looking the longer you knew them and the better you loved them, but Cole had unfairly skipped to the end of the game, all jaggedly handsome and Hollywood-looking. Not needing any love to get there.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Right now, it's hard to imagine that it is raining anywhere in the world.”
tags: love

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'd always liked jogging because it was a place to think.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“There was something awful about terror trapped behind silence. About latent emotions that couldn't be acted out.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sometimes, your eyes see something your brain doesn't. You pick up a nmewspaper and yourhead gives you a phrase that you didn't consciously read yet. You walk into a room and you realize something's out of place before you've bothered to properly look.
I felt that happening now."

"Sam's thoughts on page 304 of Linger.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Life's pain. You just have to get over as much of it as you can.
-Isabel Culpeper”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Strange what love taught you about your
faults.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“No, you have to talk first. You wanted to talk. It means you say something and I respond and you talk back again. It's one of the human race's most shining achievements. It's called a conversation.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sharing revelations is easier when it doesn't matter.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“He'd only been gone two seconds, but the room got brighter when they were together, as if they were two elements that became brilliant in proximity.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I wasn't sure if I admired him for feeling everything so hard and fiercely, or if I was contemptuous of him for having so much emotion that he had to spill it out every window of the house.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Avoidance is a wonderful therapy”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Kissing in front of the loveless is an act of cruelty.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I needed paper. I couldn’t think without writing my thoughts down.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“My brain instantly traveled back to my parents’ dining room table. I’d sat there every morning with my brain-storming notebook—my father’s idea—and I would do my homework or write song lyrics or journal on something I’d seen on the news. That was back when I’d been sure I was going to change the world.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Once upon a time… there was a boy named Cole St. Clair, and he could do anything. And the weight of that possibility was so unbearable that he crushed himself before it had a chance to.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“We all, one day, realize that we’re not going to be kids forever and we’re going to grow up.”