Ariel Acupan's Reviews > The Filipino Heroes League: Sticks and Stones

Read in August, 2011

Originally posted HERE.

FHL: The New Breed of Pinoy Super Heroes

Photobucket

Move over Captain Barbel, Lastikman and Darna, Pinoy Graphic Novels got a new group of heroes Filipino comic readers would surely love. I am not saying that this new one would surpass what those pinoy comic heroes (well some of them I just knew because of the movies and/or pantaserye made base on their original comic series) accomplished so far, but they just might. A group of “super” connected to the government to eradicate crimes and save lives. But unlike the characters of DC and Marvel young kids are familiar with nowadays, this group got some pinoy twist in them. Think about it, a mutant story in a Filipino setting. Heads up to Paolo Fabregas, what a promising start. A lot of loose ends and a cliffhanger ending to book one that would make you wish that the next would not be too far from its release. To sidetrack me from spoiling you, I’ll just introduce the members of Filipino Heroes League:

Flashlight – The current leader of FHL. He’s doing this gig for the chicks . A bit of a badass if you ask me, but he is a true leader at heart.

Power: He could create/shoot/blast a ball of fire using his hands.

Invisiboy – Big boned (not fat). Described by his brother (slick, will tell more about him later) as a law-abiding-rule-loving-boy-scout-altar-boy. He’s like the goody two-shoes of the gang.

Power: Invisibility.

Kidlat Kid – When he’s not doing heroic things, this guy is the fastest pedicab driver alive. A sort-of kanto boy who wears a tsinelas while fighting crimes.

Power: A speedster.

Maria Constantino – No code name yet. She is the granddaughter of “The Teacher”. A Charmaine Riviera look-alike. You’ll know who Charmaine is if you would read FHL, right Vis?

Power: Telepathy

Slick – The brother of invisiboy. He joins the FHL to help his brother and for a reason only Maria knows. A small time crook who takes advantage of others by using his powers for personal gains. Too shady for FHL but I think it is too early to judge him.

Power: He can make any surface slippery.

The Maker - A small boy with a big attitude. He knows way too much profanity for a boy. A bit too young to join the FHL but they really need all the help they can get.

Power: Can invent anything out of trash.

This is a very promising PGN (pinoy graphic novel). A round of applause for Visprint for being brave enough to publish artists/writers like Paolo Fabregas, Manix Abrera and Budjette Tan. They open up a arena that others thought was already closed. A success to those people like me who believe that we could revive the comic industry in thePhilippines.

To view pages from this awesome PGN, click HERE!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Filipino Heroes League.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ariel Acupan Thanks Jzhun. ^_^

jzhunagev Ariel wrote: "Thanks Jzhun. ^_^"

Interesting composition of heroes. Bibili ako nito sa Komikon this coming November! Thanks for the heads up, Ariel.Sila yung mga superheroes na pedicab ang version ng Bat Mobile, di ba? Ahaha! :D

Tina I knew it I knew it I knew it! :)

message 4: by Ariel (last edited Aug 09, 2011 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariel Acupan @Jzhun: Yup. hahaha. C Kidlat Kid ang padyak boy. hahaha

@Tina: Thanks for the push and like. ;)

Ariel Acupan Thanks for the like Dan.

K.D. Absolutely Ikaw na talaga ang idol ko pagdating sa komiks.

Ariel Acupan Thanks K.D. ^_^