Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Mammon

Mammon by J.B.   Thomas

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: i-own, random-house-sent, publisher-sent, for-review
Read from August 21 to 24, 2011

*Firstly, thanks to Random House Australia, who sent me this book for review*

Mammon by J.B Thomas turned out to be a great entertaining read. It took me a little while to really get into this book. In the very beginning when Grace and Joe were first discovering powers, things seemed to move really fast and I felt disconnected from the characters. However as the book progressed the more I seemed to enjoy it. This is a bit different from the other demon books out there that I’ve read. The idea of it, the overall way that demons form and what they actually are, is unique and I really liked that about it. As I mentioned before, the story seemed to move really fast in the beginning; it seemed to me like the characters accepted things so easily and it in turn made it hard for me to accept what was happening, but once Grace and Joe end up in training and learning more about the world; then I really got sucked in. This book was action packed and tended to be fast paced the majority of the way through, with plenty of romance to keep me entertained and swooning.

I had mixed emotions about the characters in this book. There seem to be so many of them, that at times I kept forgetting names and who they were supposed to be as well as their place within the story. I liked the majority of them, although I found I didn’t like Joe. I found I didn’t care for him and his attitude; he didn’t draw any empathy from me and he grated on my nerves over some of the selfish and annoying choices he made. I know he’s one of the lead roles, but I just didn’t like him.
Grace on the other hand, I did like. I enjoyed begin inside her head and following her the most during this book. She herself has made her fair share of mistakes and she’s got a lot to learn, but she’s brave and feisty and has a good heart. She was generally good to read about and I can’t wait to see how her abilities develop in the rest of the series.
And Ivan. Oh.....I liked Ivan, I liked Ivan a lot! He has to be the highlight of the book for me. He’s so brave and tough and sexy and fierce. I’m a sucker for any kind of soldier or military man, so he had my heart the moment he appeared in the book. He and Grace were so sweet and I loved seeing their relationship change and alter and I was soooo happy to see them together. They obviously care deeply about one another and I love them as a couple. Theirs is the kind of romance I love to read about.

I liked the way this book progress and I feel like it was a really great, easy read. You can relax while you read it and get sucked into the characters and tale. The ending was exciting and left me wanting more. I’m wondering what’s next in store for Grace, Joe and Ivan and can’t wait to read the rest of The Ferryman Chronicles.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mammon.

08/21/2011 page 193
51.33% "Hmmmm, getting better....."