Joel's Reviews > Darkfever

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: 2011, read-while-in-a-foreign-land
Recommended to Joel by: Ceridwen Tomato
Read on August 07, 2011

I read this because Ceridwen mailed it to me. She read it while incapacitated by the flu. I read it while roughly 60 percent awake on a three-leg international travel jag. Either is probably what I'd consider an ideal circumstance: your brain wants amusement, distraction, titillation... but certainly not a challenge.

And since I am apparently the only boy to ever, ever read it, I thought, why not pause my vacation for a quick review?

So this book reminded me a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, if Buffy was a lot dumber and a lot less up to date with her pop culture references. Young, superficial girl (OMG you guys, she likes pink so much!) suffers a tragedy (mysterious sibling murder!), runs off to Dublin to investigate and discovers she is some sort of warrior of destiny who must fight to stop dark hordes from overrunning the earth. Meanwhile, brooding anti-hero lurks in the background and isn't what he seems (except he probably totally is). The usual usual.

It seems that Mac (no, that's her name) is perhaps key to stopping a bunch of evil fairies from escaping from a fairy prison and overrunning the earth, kinda like this:

which you will recognize if you watched a lot of Zelda cartoons in the '80s (though I must say that is not what I remember it looking like.

Those are the Dark fairies. There are also some Light fairies. One of them is so sexy, every time Mac meets him she starts stripping off her panties and touching herself. I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be funny but I found it hilarious (um, until it got a bit rape-y, but kudos to KMM for not going there).

While we're talking about Buffy, I didn't quite follow the character transformation from this Buffy:

to this one:

which takes place in the span of about 20 pages. I believe the narrator is quite fuzzy on the details herself. "I don't know what came over me" might be a phrase she uses to describe the sudden ability to off six demons in a single go. Don't read this one for the action sequences though. Despite some good creature makeup, the special effects kind of suck and it is hard to figure out what is going on.

This is an intensely readable book, even if the writing isn't exactly what I'd call... good. The mythology is established slowly, and if you can get past all the silly spellings, it's pretty promising world-building: mosters that use spells to hide their true forms, areas of a city that fall into darkness and are erased from human memory, enchanted objects that must be found to stop the end from coming. Nothing new, really, but very nicely assembled, with a clear framework for the rest of the series.

Oh yeah because you're going to have to read the rest. Or be unsatisfied with the ending. Or just... don't bother. Because the book just kinds stops on page 342, even though it still kind of feels like we're just getting going. It's pretty annoying but I am sure it does wonders for the sales of book two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Flannery I love that Ceridwen sent this to you and that you read it. Have fun on the rest of your trip!

message 2: by Sparrow (last edited Aug 07, 2011 10:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sparrow Ending the book at the beginning of the story is kind of like when someone says, "Oh, I have to tell you something. . . . No I really shouldn't tell you!" Anymore, I'm usually like, Okay, spit it out, or don't bother. I usually don't want to know, anyway.

Joel Meredith wrote: "Ending the book at the beginning of the story is kind of like when someone says, "Oh, I have to tell you something. . . . No I really shouldn't tell you!" Anymore, I'm usually like, Okay, spit it ..."

Sparrow Joel wrote: "that is how pretty much every conversation between mac and barrons goes. question followed by cryptic non-foreshadowing."

Done petulantly/broodingly respectively.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

TEH FEVER. YOU DO NOT HAS IT.

Christy Joel wrote: "She read it while incapacitated by the flu. I read it while roughly 60 percent awake on a three-leg international travel jag. Either is probably what I'd consider an ideal circumstance: your brain wants amusement, distraction, titillation... but certainly not a challenge."

Exactly. I read it while beginning my recovery from writing and defending my dissertation. All I could handle was entertaining and unchallenging - this series was perfect for that.