Sara's Reviews > The Bourne Identity

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

Jul 15, 08

bookshelves: adult-fiction, 2008, thriller
Read in July, 2008

I read this book in large part because I'd seen and liked the Bourne movies, and it was a good read, though it was completely different than the movie, from what I remember.

The book is much slower paced than the film, giving plenty of time for the character of Jason Bourne to be developed. Interesting hints about his past life are continually dropped through the novel, which made me want to read on and discover more. On the other hand, the slower pace didn't lend itself to making this as much of a page turned as it could/should have been. Also, the novel was published in 1980 (a complete surprise for me!), so a lot of the action and gadgets are very dated because of this. I had a difficult time following a few of the parts, though I think this is probably because the conveniences used are so old and not commonly spoken of in today's world. Still, it was an entertaining novel and the plot was better than the one in the movie, on the whole. I will most likely continue to read this series, though I'll give it a bit of time before the next book. I am also very curious to re-watch the movie and see how it completely differs now that the book is fresh in my mind!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bourne Identity.