Jackie's Reviews > Glow

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: ya, work-review-related-reading
Read in July, 2011

They are calling this series "the next Hunger Games", and I can see why. It's action packed, alternating chapters between the 15 year old female lead, Waverly, and the 16 year old male lead, Kiernan. I read this in about 24 hours, unable to put it down (it would have been faster if I could have managed to not sleep or go to work). The premise is that the Earth is toast, so it has sent out two HUGE ships (HUGE--many levels with the ability to do anything--grow orchards, farm, etc). They left a year apart and they are staffed with the planned progenitors of New Earth. 42 years into the mission, the second ship catches sight of the first ship (which wasn't supposed to happen--they left a year apart and they should be light years away from each other). It seems they have a fertility problem on the first ship--no babies can be conceived there. They need help, and are willing to use force to get it. It is, after all, all about survival of the species. But things are not what they seem, or what they were meant to be, on either ship, and things turn bloody fast.

This is a fast paced, edge of your seat, violent, intense book, clearly at the beginning of a series because the climax leaves you desperate for more. I really do think this is going to be HUGE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glow.