Emily Ward's Reviews > Theft of Swords

Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan

Aug 07, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, own, kindle
Read from August 07 to 18, 2011

I'm loving this book so far! I'm happy there's so much left :D

8/14: finished book one, the Crown Conspiracy. Awesome!

8/18: Finished. Wow, great books. I'll write a longer review later, but I'm going to buy Nyphron Rising RIGHT NOW. Sleep? Pah!

8/20:
I was lucky enough to snag this ARC. This book was actually originally two books: The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha. They were self-published along with a couple other books in the Riyria Revelations, and the series was recently picked up by Orbit Books. Theft of Swords will be released the end of November, but if you just can't wait after reading my review, you can still get the ebook versions of the first five books on Amazon.com until 8/31/11.

The Riyria Revelations starts with two thieves. Not common thieves, Royce and Hadrian work for nobles, occasionally double-crossing them. They take jobs that pay well, and they've worked up some notoriety as Riyria. They take a job that sounds almost too easy to steal a sword in the castle, but they find out it's a trap. Soon, they're arrested for the murder of the king. The princess hires them to kidnap her brother, thinking she'll save him from the same fate as her father. The story goes from there, following all kinds of twists and turns. The heroes of the story search out a wizard who's been in prison for a thousand years, battle a creature conjured by elves, and witness the church begin building an empire.

This book is a great read. The story is immensely interesting. The author obviously put a lot of time into world building: histories, religions, heroes of old, magic. At times, it was hard for me to keep up with everything. There were a few info dumps along the way, but once I sorted out who was what and why it was important, I just moved on. All in all, it's an adventure story with some political intrigue, but magic becomes a big part of the story halfway through The Crown Conspiracy. I think it's Lord of the Rings meets Pirates of the Caribbean.

I really enjoyed the characters. There's a big cast, and the author finds a way to connect them all. Some of them have so much personality. I loved Myron; he was so funny. Hadrian is my favorite, though, and I can't wait to learn more about his past. I'm not used to such a distant POV, but maybe that's because I don't read high fantasy too often. I felt like, aside from the occasional internal monologue, we rarely knew what the characters were thinking or feeling. We usually saw their emotions through their actions. It sort of takes from the story, but at the same time, there are so many secrets and lies, it leaves the reader guessing. You don't know who to trust!

There were a few times when I didn't want to put this book down. The day I finished it, I spent pretty much all afternoon and evening reading. I finished it around midnight! It was a good way to spend my birthday. I got online and bought Nyphron Rising right away because I wasn't sure if I was going to be lucky enough to score another ARC and because I wanted to support the author. I love how the series has overarching plot issues, but each novel deals with a certain conflict.

Okay, I'm going to go read Nyphron Rising. Pre-order your copy of Theft of Swords now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theft of Swords.

08/07/2011
6.0% "Great beginning!"
08/11/2011
30.0% "I'm just happy there's still 70% left. Loving it!"
08/14/2011 "Um I'm 47% through now :)"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Michael (last edited Aug 12, 2011 04:55AM) (new) - added it

Michael Hey Emily...I'm so glad you are enjoying Theft of Swords. You are the first person I've seen to post on it here on Goodreads and I can't wait to see how you feel as the book progresses.

Good, bad, or indifferent it's all good - I just like hearing what people think about the book. I can't wait for it to be in official release.

Out of curiosity...where did you get the Advanced Reading copy from?

Emily Ward Great, I'll keep updating as I read!

It was your wife, Robin, who e-mailed it to me. You messaged me first on Kindleboards, I'm emilyward over there :)

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Yeah, Robin...she's great to say the least - I should have known her invisible hand was behind the scenes. there are a ton of ARC's out and about in the world and sitting with Reviewers etc. I even got an email from a friend who has a friend in a PA bookstore who was given one. The coolest thing so far though was signing them at BookExpo America in New York we "sold out" in about 30 minutes. I don't think the publisher was expecting that as it was the last day of the show and at lunch and most of the hall was empty.

Robin Emily - glad you liked the first book - it is a fun little romp...but not everything is as it seems as you'll find out in book 2 the person actually behind Amrath's death is not who you were told ;-) Enjoy!

Robin Lol - I love it when a book keeps people reading past their bedtime - Glad you liked it.

Emily Ward Yes, thank you guys so much for letting me read it! Very enjoyable :)