Sarah's Reviews > Jane

Jane by April Lindner

Aug 08, 11

Jane Eyre has always been one of my favorite books. In the past, I have abhorred one attempt to retell it (Sharon Shinn's Jenna Starborn) and approached this one with some trepidation.

Reader, I married it. I LOVE this book. I love Jane herself. She's so honest and kind, not at all a modern heroine, yet still an updated Jane. In the modern setting Mr R's manipulativeness--and the age difference--seem more obvious than in Bronte's version, but it still works.

The other cool thing for me is that it's set in my hometown, Old Lyme CT. When Mr R swerves his car off the road, almost hitting Jane, I knew exactly where it happened (Rte 156) (and yes, people do drive way too fast on that road!). I know the horse farm she sketches (on the same road). There's even a gated estate up there that I'm going to imagine is Thornfield Park.

It's also very well written, not a cheap rehash.

I'm not done with this yet, but I feel certain the whole will sustain the promise of the first half.

Later: Done. Excellent book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Coates Hmm...I saw this the other day and couldn't decide if it was worth tackling or not. I like the cover and it sounds interesting.

message 2: by Theo (new)

Theo P Deborah wrote: "Hmm...I saw this the other day and couldn't decide if it was worth tackling or not. I like the cover and it sounds interesting."

I was really on the fence about trying it--a friend whose taste in books is very different from mine loved it. I'm glad I picked it up.

I should offer a caveat, too: some readers may have a problem with the age difference between Jane and Nico, and there is some edgy language, though Jane disapproves of it.

Deva Fagan I just got this out of the library! I am glad to hear you liked it...