Paul's Reviews > The Dark Tower

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Aug 07, 11

After 7 books and 3800 pages it's a bit difficult to look at the final volume in isolation. At this point in the story, it had long since ceased being a question of whether our hero(es) would make it to the Tower, but which ones would survive the journey to do so. The final book, "The Dark Tower" is impossible to discuss in any depth without giving away major spoilers. That said, we once again split our time between Roland's world and "ours," and we complete the final furlong of the journey to confront the Crimson King at the Tower, itself.

And, yes, the trip ends up being worth it.

Which is not to say the ending will be everyone's cup of tea.

One good friend stated that she wanted to throw the book across the room when she was done. I'm of the opinion that, after this long a story, any ending, in and of itself, will fail to live up to that kind of preamble. King makes the point that no ending "is ever as good as 'Once upon a time...'" A journey is always superior to a destination, and I think it holds very true, here.

Without giving anything away, King gives his readers one, last choice at the close of The Dark Tower; a choice of what kind of "closure" they want to have. In retrospect, it's one worth weighing, seriously, before proceeding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tower.