Ron's Reviews > Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert M. Sapolsky

M_50x66
Aug 07, 11

Read in July, 2011

Sapolsky's primer on neuroendocrinology benefits greatly from a new edition in that the metaphors are more topical and a great deal of old theory has been validated by modern research, showing that psychological stress does indeed ultimately have a physiological component (organ stress due to wildly fluctuating hormone levels). The upshot is that we all need to find our own unique ways of coping with stress based on our personality types and numerous other factors in order to live long and healthy lives (the only seeming universal being that exercise not in excess seems to benefit everyone). Prior to the concluding chapters on these personal habits, Saplosky also notes the inequality in wealth as a tremendous factor in disease related to stress, asserting that humans have created their own stresses through religion and agriculture (a view I've also held all along), and ultimately advocating for social justice based on eradicating these inequalities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers.