Katie's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 10, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, favorites
Read on January 10, 2012 — I own a copy

I'm not good at writing book reviews. I stumble along, slap down my initial reactions or thoughts, and call it quits. This book deserves so much more than that.

This morning, my twelve year old sister had a Grand Maul seizure. It wasn't her first, and hopefully it was her last. There's a certain bittersweetness in reading a book about two cancer kids, my age, just hours after holding your baby sister's hand while she writhes on the floor. Both, I think, remind you of the mortality of humans.

Anyways, that's not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters and their story. I read this book in 2 hours and 15 minutes, ok. It was wonderful. I know I say that about most books I read, and I really do mean it, but especially this one.

Hazel Grace is dying. Her cancer drug has bought her a little bit of time, but no one knows how much time. She sits at home. She watches America's Next Top Model. She reads her favorite book, An Imperial Affliction. She is forced to go to Cancer Kid Support Group.

And there, she meets Augustus Waters. One legged, beautiful, Augustus, who bases his behavior on its metaphorical significance and writes his phone number on the inside of book covers. Let me just say this: I fell in love with Augustus. I have this bad habit of falling head over heels in love with book boys. Augustus was no exception. He made me laugh. I would stop, mid page, to read something he said or did to my sister. We both laughed.

I love Hazel. Hazel is living her life knowing that it could end soon. She's trying to come to terms with the fact that she'll be leaving, that her parents will be left behind when she explodes like a grenade. She doesn't want to become close to Augustus, fearing that the shards from her grenade will hit him too hard.

Here are the thoughts that I'm left with: the world is not a wish-making factory. There's hurt and pain and 16 year old kids with cancer and tiny 12 year olds with seizures. I think, though, that the point is not that the world is not a wish-making factory, but that there are good things out there too. I always worry, when I read books like this one, that I won't catch the meaning of the book, that I won't understand what the author was trying to say. However, John Green himself has said that the books belong to the readers, and it's up to them to interpret the stories. And for me, this story is about living, even when you have no idea how long your life will be.

Quotes Katie Liked

John Green
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

John Green
“There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

01/10 page 65
20.0% "THIS IS SO AMAZING GUYS."
01/10 page 115
36.0% "Can I just marry Gus already?"
05/28 marked as: read

Libby gosh, i hope your sister is okay.
and i need this book. as in, i think a piece of myself is missing right now. yay for book tokens & shopping trips, right?