Jules's Reviews > My Year with Eleanor

My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: blog-tour, sent-4-review, reviewed

This was rated 3.5 jewels on my blog: http://onebookshy.blogspot.com

This was a tough book for me to rate and review. It was one that I enjoyed greatly at times and then became mildly irritated with at certain points.

I agreed to be on the tour because the "memoir" was promoted as being akin to Julie Powell's "Julie and Julia" which I adored. The fact that I have always admired the amazing and inspirational Eleanor Roosevelt sealed my decision to read this book.

My Year With Eleanor does have that certain something that made Julie Powell's story so engrossing. Noelle Hancock writes with a light touch that makes you keep turning the pages; even if only to find out what absurd or mind-blowing thing she comes up with to try next. I don't know that this was quite what Mrs. Roosevelt had in mind, but we should all take inspiration where we find it. The author did a nice job of keeping Eleanor in the limelight alongside her. I found that I learned many things about the great lady that I didn't know.

There were several laugh out loud moments during the story which is always a plus for me. This is not to say there aren't some serious issues also being touched upon as she is trying to get her footing on a path that isn't quite clearly defined in places. Her visits and dialogue with her psychiatrist were thought-provoking and funny at times. I liked that her close friends played a large role in her adventures and that she didn't come across as the solo, sword-wielding Amazon who could conquer everything in her path by herself.

The age difference between myself and the author as well as the places we are in our lives may be a factor in some of the irritation that I mentioned above. I can't quite relate with the need to "find oneself" at almost thirty years of age. In my circle that had mostly been accomplished seven to ten years prior and we were working on polishing what we'd become. The notion of spending a year running around doing impractical and improbable things still doesn't fly with me or sit well, especially when I consider the financial aspect.

That being said, the book was enjoyable for me as a light women's fiction type read even though it is marketed as a memoir. I think readers of a close age or with similar life experiences as the writer will be really able to relate to the tale. I also encourage readers who are interested to read the books from Eleanor Roosevelt herself. Noelle's book has reminded me how great a lady she was and how much she had to offer us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year with Eleanor.